Energy Performance Certificates

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) summarise the energy efficiency of a building. They provide details on the energy efficiency of a property, and provide suggestions on what you can do to improve it. An EPC is required when a property is built, sold or let.

Your landlord should provide you with an EPC if you are renting a property.

EPC’s are valid for 10 years after they are produced.

EPC example

Understanding your EPC

Costs of lighting, heating and hot water in your property will be estimated in your EPC. Suggestions will be made on how you can reduce this cost as well as potential savings over 3 years.

A Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) rating will be given to your property as well as a rating on a scale of A to G. This is based only on the efficiency of fixed lighting and heating, and the fabric of your building. It does not take occupant behaviour into account. The higher the SAP rating is, or the closer to an A rating, the more efficient your property has been measured as.

EPCs will give you suggestions on how to improve your energy efficiency rating. It will also show you how long it will take for these improvements to be paid back through savings on your energy bills.

How to get an EPC

You can find a local Domestic Energy Assessor here. This page can assist you in finding an accredited person to undertake an Energy Performance Certificate or to check that an individual is accredited.

Your appointment will be arranged during which they will take a survey of your property. They will need access to all areas of your house, including the loft. Surveys usually take 20 minutes to complete. Always make sure your assessor has identification on them at all times.